To view the recent JACI publication by Stafford, Patel and Turner click here
Information correct as of July 29, 2021. Will be updated depending on NIAC guidelines-for further information please visit this link.
- The National Immunisation Advisory Committee(NIAC) have recommended that all those aged 12 to 15yrs should be included in the Covid-19 vaccination program and that they should be offered an mRNA vaccine. The names of the two available mRNA vaccines are Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine(Comirnaty®) and COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna (Spikevax®).
- mRNA vaccines should not be given to anyone who has had an anaphylactic reaction to any of the vaccine ingredients. This includes an ingredient called polyethylene glycol (PEG). PEG anaphylaxis is very rare. You can find out about the ingredients here: www.hse.ie/covid19VaccinePIL.
- A very small number of young people who have had anaphylactic reactions to MRI dyes should not receive the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna (Spikevax®) but can be given the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine Comirnaty®.
- Vaccine related allergic reactions including life threatening reactions (anaphylaxis) are extremely rare. A very small number of cases of anaphylaxis have occurred since the COVID-19 vaccine rollout began. Therefore, as for all vaccines, Covid-19 vaccines should always be given with the appropriate medical treatment available.
- Anyone with a history of anaphylaxis will be observed for an extra 15 minutes.
Please note that the CHI Allergy Depts are only accepting inquiries regarding COVID-19 Vaccines from GPs.
Message for Health Care Professionals: For answers to COVID-19 Vaccine related Allergy questions please refer to the following NIAC/RCPI/IAAI document. https://rcpi-live-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/FAQs-about-COVID19-Vaccines-and-Allergies_07July2021.pdf
Visit the recent JACI publication at this link
Article from JACI March 2021. See here for pdf
To review the most recent recommendations please see here
IFAN Allergy Podinar Series:
Episode 1 is available to listen to now by clicking the following link:
Co-chaired by Dr. Aideen Byrne and Dr. Cathryn O’Carroll with Dr. Yvonne D’Art and Ruth Charles.
Further episodes will appear here after the event is hosted live.
See recent JACI article here
See the 2021 JACI pdf here
For open access to this article from JACI see here
Open access to this article from JACI is available here